Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards.
Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more.
We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
We want employees to be able to reside where they feel most creative and productive. You will be part of an org that works across pacific, central, and eastern time zone(s).
In this role, you and your direct team will be primarily organized and operating within the pacific standard time zone. This role is open to all people who can be effective partners with this team, including sharing typical working hours.
As a member of the Hardware Data Science team, you will be embedded in our product team and own analytics for a designated product line within Square’s Hardware portfolio. You will also help drive the overall Hardware analytics roadmap, set the strategy for how to bring more data, automation and machine learning to how we run the business.
Just like with our Hardware devices, we started simple, but now are building a purpose built Hardware analytics infrastructure from the ground up, which you will help drive. You will also leverage engineering, analytics, and machine learning to empower data-driven decision making in the full lifecycle of product development.
You will provide insights about our Sellers and Hardware products, and drive strategic decisions with data. This role will report into our Data Science Manager, Hardware.
- Partner with multiple stake-holders across the organization by leveraging descriptive and predictive analytics to produce a material impact
- Own, coordinate, and solve complex, cross-functional problems that extend beyond the traditional boundaries of product domains, analytics, and data science
- Communicate analysis and decisions to high-level stakeholders and executives in verbal, visual, and written media
- Provide comprehensive day-to-day analytics support to partner teams, develop tools to empower data access and self-service
- Lead the data strategy of embedded product engineering, guiding them to make well-informed architecture and design decisions that affect data at Square
- Develop and maintain curated data sets using ETL and build/share data visualizations through dashboards
- 3+ years of analytics experience or equivalent
- A BS/BA in Math, Statistics, Economics, or a related technical field
- An ability to translate ambiguous, unstructured business problems into actionable data-driven analyses
- Fluency with data, analytics and visualization technologies (We use SQL, Looker, and Python)
- Experience leading cross-functional projects that depend on the contributions of others in multiple disciplines
- Familiarity with data warehouse design, development and best practices
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com.
We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources